We all know how important it is to take care of our hair. But what about our scalp? Just like the skin on our face, the skin on our scalp needs to be taken care of in order to stay healthy. Bald men have more awareness about their scalp. Here are some tips on how to take care of your scalp’s skin even if you are a man with hair.
Why Is Scalp Care Important For Men?
Scalp care is important for men because it can help to prevent hair loss and keep the skin of the scalp healthy. A healthy scalp is important for maintaining healthy hair: a number of scalp conditions that can lead to hair loss. Here are 7 reasons why scalp care is important.
1. Prevent Dandruff
Scalp care can help prevent dandruff. Dandruff is a common condition that can be caused by a variety of factors, some of which are common to both men and women. Carefully choosing a scalp care product can resolve some of these factors.
2. Treat Minor Pimples And Acne On The Scalp And Hairline
Acne is a common condition that can be particularly difficult to treat along the hairline and scalp. (If acne is severe or persistent, it should be treated by a dermatologist.)
3. Prevent Hair Loss
A build-up of oil and dirt can block hair follicles and cause hair loss.
4. Prevent Scalp Irritation
If you don’t wash your hair often enough or use the right products, this could lead to a buildup of oils and sweat, which would cause your scalp to become irritated, including
- Bald Patches
- Dry Skin
- Pus-Filled Sores
5. Improve Hair Quality
A clean scalp is essential for healthy hair, so it is important to find the right product that will clean the scalp without stripping away natural oils.
6. Reduce Scalp Odor
Scalp odor can be caused by a number of things, including under-or-over-washing, wearing a hat, stress, and even diet. One good way to reduce scalp odor is to keep the scalp clean.
7. Prevent Scalp Infections
A scalp infection can be caused by bacteria and fungi that enter the hair follicles or skin of the scalp. Having a scalp infection can lead to various types of skin rashes on the scalp as well as hair loss. A clean scalp is less likely to become infected.
The 5 Best Tips For Getting The Best Scalp Care
Scalp care is important for everyone, but it can be especially difficult for men to find the right products and routine. Here are a few tips to help you get started on keeping your scalp healthy and happy.
1. Use The Right Hair Care Products–Preferably With A Built-In Skin Moisturizer
To get the best scalp care, you need to use the right product and pay attention to how your hair responds, adjusting the frequency of application accordingly.
Typically shampoo is used to cleanse the scalp and remove product buildup. Typically conditioner is applied to the scalp and worked through the ends of your hair to support growth.
But ideally you should be using a product that not only cleans and conditions the hair, but also moisturizes the underlying skin as well.
I’ve been using Geologie’s new Co-Wash “anti-shampoo.” after it was launched a few weeks ago and I’m already feeling a difference in my scalp–both skin and hair (I use the “Cooling” version because I have oily hair. There’s a “Smoothing” version for those with dryer hair).
Rather than relying on a typical shampoo formula with harsh chemicals and sulfates to clean your hair, Co-wash uses friction and scrubbing motion to remove dirt and grime from your scalp, getting my hair clean and healthy without damaging it in the process.
Cooling Hair Co-Wash is formulated with Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Menthol, Squalane, and Vitamin B5:
- Tea Tree Oil helps to break down and prevent the buildup of product, sweat, dirt,and elements on the scalp/hair.
- Aloe Vera is rich in fatty acids and amino acids which strengthen hair follicles.
- Cooling Menthol makes way for a sensorial shower experience, leaving your scalp feeling tingly and refreshed.
- Squalane is an essential scalp moisturizer that helps to replenish hair and protect it from further damage. It softens and adds shine without greasiness.
- Vitamin B5 (sometimes referred to as panthenol) seals in moisture to follicles, which helps prevent dryness. This ingredient provides conditioning benefits like intense moisture, shine and softness without layering on greasy oils.
Smoothing Hair Co-Wash is formulated with Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Squalane, and Vitamin B5:
- Avocado and Coconut Oils nourish both the scalp and hair. In combination with the ingredients below, this formula moisturizes the scalp and hair, making way for smoother, frizz-free hair. These ingredients help stimulate blood flow to the scalp and unclog blocked follicles.
- Squalane helps to replenish hair and protect it from further damage. It softens and adds shine without greasiness.
- Vitamin B5 (panthenol) seals in moisture to follicles, which helps prevent dryness. This ingredient provides conditioning benefits like intense moisture, shine and softness without layering on greasy oils.
You can get 10% off Co-Wash (actually usable site-wide!) with coupon code SHARPOLOGIST10 at checkout from Geologie!
2. Wash Your Hair With Warm (Not Hot) Water
Washing your hair with hot water can be damaging to your scalp care for a few reasons. First, hot water can dry the skin and scalp, leading to irritation and itchiness. Second, hot water can strip away natural oils that protect the scalp and hair from damage. Finally, excessively hot showers or using a hair dryer on high heat settings can actually damage the hair follicles, leading to thinning hair or even baldness over time. To avoid these issues, use lukewarm (or even cold) water when washing your hair.
3. Gently Rub Your Hair
Don’t scrub your hair – massage it gently instead. Scrubbing your hair can lead to the loss of valuable chemicals and a rough hair texture.
Rubbing your hair harshly can lead to the loss of valuable chemicals and a rough hair texture. Gently rubbing your scalp will help preserve the natural oils in your hair which will keep it healthy and shiny.
4. Wait A While Before Rinsing–And Rinse Thoroughly!
Rinsing quickly can leave behind residue that can cause dandruff. Rinse for 30 seconds or longer (again, with lukewarm or even cold water). Gently moving the hair around while rinsing allows water to reach every part of the head. Thicker or longer hair may require more time to rinse clean.
I found this particularly important when I use Geologie Co-Wash. The first time I used it I didn’t rinse long enough and my hair came out looking pretty limp and lifeless, with no volume. After I rinsed for a longer time and more thoroughly I got much better results!
5. Dry The Hair Properly
We’re all guilty of grabbing the nearest towel and feverishly rubbing our hair to remove excess water but there is a better, healthier way to get the job done. Remove excess water by gently blotting and squeezing your hair with a soft towel. If you have longer hair, microfiber towels or a soft cotton t-shirt are best at absorbing the excess water, plus it will keep the frizzies and flyaways to a minimum.
In conclusion,it is important to take care of your scalp. This can be done by using the right products, avoiding certain hairstyles, and being gentle when washing your hair. Taking care of your scalp will help keep your hair healthy and prevent hair loss.