This week, Joe gives a short update on things going on in the community in our Dateline! show.
Due to a last minute family emergency, the full-length show was not an option, so I hope you enjoy Joes short show! My apologies for not getting a longer show to you this week, but we will have more great content next Wednesday!
Company: Trader Joes
Trader Joe’s is now selling a shave kit in their markets
- “A Close Shave” kit consists of a brush, soap,and balm
- Retails for $9.99
- Sandalwood scent.
- Made in the USA specifically for Trader Joe’s
- Getting decent reviews online.
Its very exciting to see a new shave kit available in a brick and mortar establishment.
I will be picking one up asap.
Recently there have been rumors that the classic shave soap/stick “Arko” has been discontinued.
Arko was introduced in 1957 and was the first preparation product made in Turkey.
- Joe has contacted Arko and is waiting for a response from their marketing division.
- Arko has recently relaunched their “Arko Men” line this year and is marketing the products to 50 countries.
We will keep you updated on the status of this classic soap.
- For those of you who were fortunate enough to take advantage of Maggard’s Cyber Monday sale you know who you are.
- Maggard’s had some great deals on their safety razors, starter kits, soaps ect.
- I took advantage of a safety razor kit and a few other items.
- Maggard Razors were established in 2012 by long time wet shaving enthusiast Brad and his wife Cassie Maggard.
Company: The Shaving Shop
- The Shaving Shop Online is now open.
- The site features house brand soaps, aftershaves and handmade shaving strops.
- Owned and operated by wet shaving enthusiast Peter Charkalis
- We would like to wish Peter the best of luck and look forward to seeing his business grow.
Company: Wet shaving RoundTable
- The Wet shaving Round Table has announced they will be changing production sites starting December 12, 2015 at 7:00pm EST.
- The have decided to move to “Blab IM” from youtube for a better listening experience.
- For those of you who don’t know, The Wet Shaving Round Table is a weekly live stream show, hosted by several notables in the wet shaving community and features a weekly guest host who is well known in the community.
- Check them out on Facebook.
Company: SCW Cutlery
A recent article in the South China post visits SCW a cutlery store that has been selling traditional wet shaving supplies and hardware for the past 66 years.
- Located in Hong Kong SCW carries a wide array of straight razors, strops, and brushes made from all different types of materials,
- Custom razors and professional sharpening service.
- Article describes how they provide a service that is otherwise not available in Hong Kong.
- The article also includes a short how-to-guide on how to shave with a straight razor.
Company: Pinaud Clubman
- Joe purchased the soap and tried it for almost two weeks straight,
- His thoughts. Great Soap and all around excellent value.
- Really enjoyed the soap and scent.
Company: Badger and Blade
- Badger and Blade has announced their 2015 Badger and Blade Awards.
- The awards are based on products that have been tested over the year and then ranked by their moderation team.
- New awards will be announced daily.
Source: Joe B’s Stropping Video
- Recently Joe made a short video on a stropping trick to help newbies learn the fundamentals of stropping.
- One of the main reasons razors lose their keenness prematurely is improper stropping .
- In the video Joe takes a hanging strop and places it on a flat surface thus eliminated flexing that may “roll the edge”.
- This method also greatly reduces the chance to damage the strop.
- Check out the video, link in show notes.