General Guidelines & Tips:
Be respectful and civil.
Stay on topic.
What, you want more detail? OK:
Don’t personally attack anyone—whether it’s their grammar, their intelligence, their name, or anything else. You can attack a viewpoint but not the individual. We want everyone who reads our stories to feel free to comment. And we especially don’t want anyone to be scared to put their thoughts out there. The comments section should be an open place for thoughtful—and, yes, passionate—discussion. Stick to these rules, and it’ll stay that way.
Don’t feed the trolls. They will bite, and they’ll keep coming back. Let’s keep them where they belong: under your bed.
Please be concise. No one wants to read a rambling, long-winded back-and-forth that forgets what it was supposed to be about.
Don’t generalize. No, all men aren’t dogs—just some of us. And if you want to say something like that, show us some evidence, post a link with more information. Don’t group people together just because it’s “your opinion.” That’s lazy and leads to all sorts of problems.
Don’t write about the same thing each time you comment. We will find you, and we will restrict or ban you. Mix it up, and we won’t have any problems. If you have something to say that you feel strongly about, write a post, work with our editors, and we will run it. Well thought-out points of view on a variety of topics are encouraged!
We will not tolerate attacks on the site itself, people who question our motives, our intentions or our reason for being. If you want to talk about these issues then create your own platform. We invite community participation and encourage people who want to have thoughtful discussions about shaving, grooming, and other site topics. Period. Questioning why we are doing it the way we are doing it is a way to get yourself restricted or banned.
Comments with more than one active link may be held for moderation.
As an alternative to banning, at our discretion we may restrict a user from commenting without moderation.
Please refrain from the following:
- Posting threatening, harassing, defamatory, or libelous material
- Posting material that infringes copyright or any other intellectual property interest
- Ad hominem attacks*
- Comparisons to genocidal dictators and their brutal regimes
- Hijacking threads to push your own irrelevant agenda
- Sweeping generalizations
- Posting an article in full from another website (though a link to it is fine)
There is no full-time moderator: spam handling is automated but the queue is reviewed periodically. Guidelines may not be enforced in real time. Once you post a comment, it becomes part of the public conversation. We will not remove a user’s comments unless we deem them to be in violation of these guidelines. We may not remove your comments simply because you have a change of heart about making them. We reserve the right to restrict or remove comments and block users entirely at our discretion, including for violations of these guidelines. We are not responsible for the content of user comments.
* [“Ad hominem abuse involves insulting or belittling one’s opponent in order to invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent’s argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent’s personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent’s arguments or assertions.”]